Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 May 1999 11:54:57 -0700
From:         "Julio T." <julio@INTERGATE.BC.CA>
Subject:      h2o cooled is not that bad, right?

Hello everyone, I have been sitting here reading all the posts for the last few days and trying to decide if I should look for an air cooled westy or a water cooled westy. Now I dont remember where I heard this but I remember hearing things like the hoses under the van for cooling can cost up to $800 to replace. but now Im reading things about people adapting 1/2" electrical conduit and copper pipe and stuff and I'm like what a great idea. Now remember I dont know much about vanagons, but are water cooled vanagon really as bad as the myths say they are? Can modifications like this really work? How bad is the head problem really? And if the heads leak, and are fixed and the coolant changed every year, how long should they last till they leak again? Are leaky heads inevidible? What about the rads and water pump, are they expensive? I like the vanagons with the round light the best but I would by a square headlight model, Is the cooling systems the same in the pre 86 models as in the post 86 models. I have also heard to only buy a 86 or newer vanagon, Is this true and why? thanks

Julio wannaawesty 93 Gmc Jimmy (for sale to buy a westy)