Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 1999 08:44:26 EDT
From:         Jeff Stewart <Fonman4277@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SCREWED by the ins.co.

I could'nt agree more about how insurance companies try to screw you over. But its a two way street. In 1985 I tapped a car from behind ( less than 5 mph ). The car belonged to a young couple from Florida on their way home ( this was in Va.) It happened in a major traffic backup on the Maryland beltway. We pull over and in minutes a Md. state trooper pulls up. The driver then shows the Md. trooper his ID showing him to be a Florida state trooper, I figure I'm screwed. But no, the Florida guy starts mouthing off to the Md trooper, who did not take kindly to this, much to my benefit. Anyway, the other driver says his wife was resting her head against the side window when I bumped them, she is injured and has to go to the hospital! BTW, neither car had any damage ( and my vehicle was a company car, a Chevy S-10 pickup) So off they go to the hospital. The guy also calls my company. My boss pages me, assumes from conversation with the other guy my truck is totalled, laughs later when he sees only the front license plate was creased. Anyway, I'll get on with this. Six months later I get a call from my companies insurance company telling me that I , as well as my company, am being sued for 1 million dollars! Is it the guys wife? No, its the driver himself, now claiming he was seriously injured, can no longer work as a state trooper, and needs to be retrained for another career!! He had rejected the insurance compainies final offer of $75,000.00!!!! Anyway, he must have settled, because I never heard anymore about it after that. But, you see, it goes both ways. Sorry for the length of this. Jeff