Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 1999 13:43:40 -0700
From:         Chris Paquette <cp@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: travel to ak

I agree with this suggestion wholeheartedly. Take two spares, as suggested. I rode the Alcan from Los Angeles up to the Arctic Circle and then over the Top of the World Highway (which is actually a dirt road, in spite of the grandiose name) into Alaska a couple of years ago (in a Chevy pickup, not a Westy). Since the Summer months are really the only viable period that roads can be worked on, road crews tend to tear up long sections at a time, and tear it down to bedrock. There was one stretch in British Columbia where such a stretch lasted for 30-odd miles. I got a flat there from the sharp, exposed rocks.

Also, be prepared to have your windshield cracked at least once. Logging and oil trucks are abundant, and they're in a hurry. They can (and often do) kick up baseball-sized rocks as they pass and you WILL suffer the consequences. Give them a wide berth. If your windshield does get cracked, there are places along the way that can mend it with a chemical, provided the crack hasn't spread too much.

Besides the TWO spare tires, I would suggest a good CB radio. There are long stretches between towns, and cellular coverage is still relatively sparse. If you need to call for help, a CB is likely to be your best bet.

Trip suggestions: Try to make it to Homer - a fantastic, scenic, eccentric little town. Also, if you're in Alaska when the State Fair rolls around (in Palmer), by all means try to go. Great fun, and an unbelievable setting.

You should be in for the time of your life! Alaska is the most beautiful place I've ever seen.