Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 May 1999 10:25:15 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Mudflaps, Trailer Hitches, Stainless Mufflers ARE HERE!

My long awaiting shipment of European and South African Vanagon goodies finally cleared customs and reached my door, a mere two months late. :-) But I think it was worth the wait. I have really, really nice trailer hitches, genuine VW mudflaps, stainless steel 2.1L mufflers, and more. Here's the scoop:

MUDFLAPS: These are genuine Volkswagen issue, made in South Africa specifically for the Vanagon. They look similar to the ones found on the Westfalias here in the states, except that they have the VW emblem embossed on them, are made of a slightly different material (more "plasticy", less "rubbery"), and clamp on with provided hardware rather than using drilled holes like the U.S. ones do. Shape/fit/looks wise they're quite similar to the VW ones sold in the States. One difference, though: while the ones sold here run $89 each, these are $89.95 for a set of four! Since some of you have been waiting very patiently for these, I will offer an additional $10 list member discount, bringing the price down to $79.95 plus shipping, for the first week. After the close of business on Friday, the price will go up to $89.95, which is still a great deal. I expect to be completely sold out of these relatively quickly, given the pent-up demand. (Note: If you order via the website, it will come up at $89.95 even now. Don't worry, just note in the "additional information" section on the order form that you're a list member and we'll deduct the $10 manually if you order by Friday.)

TRAILER HITCHES: These were a real find! They are also genuine Volkswagen/South Africa, and are heavier duty than anything I've ever seen here in the U.S. The whole setup simply replaces your stock bumper mounts, then tucks inside your bumper (which bolts to it using the stock bumper mount holes). If you look at your stock bumper mounts you'll see that they insert directly into two steel "tubes" that are part of the Vanagon frame. This hitch goes right into the frame the same way, except that it extends much deeper into the frame tubes than the bumper bracket did. It bolts to the frame using the same bolt holes that your stock bumper brackets used. The frame of the tow hitch hides inside the cavity of your rear bumper. Two sets of bumper brackets are included that attach your bumper to it, one for the metal bumper and one for the plastic "wolfsburg" bumper. In both cases you will have to notch the bottom of the bumper (where you can't see it) in order to make it clear the hitch mount (something you have to do on the light-duty U.S. Vanagon hitches I've seen as well). It initially looked to me like you'd have to drill a hole in the included bracket for use with the metal vanagon bumper, but my associates at Just Kampers in the UK, who have been selling these for a while, tell me I must have looked at it wrong and that you don't need to drill a hole. Once installed, the hitch is nearly invisible except for the roughly 6" rectangular mount that the hitch ball attaches to, which sits below the bumper (almost flush with it). It is painted black but could also be painted to match your Vanagon. These bumpers use the European style mount for the tow ball, which is different from the tow balls used here. A 2" ball is included. Only the way the ball mounts to the hitch is different; the way the trailer attaches to it is the same as on a US tow ball. These hitches don't have a load rating like the U.S. ones do, so all warnings about using common sense apply. But looking at this one compared to the standard aftermarket U.S. made hitch on my '89 Westy (which is rated at 1500 lbs and 150 lb tongue weight), this hitch is TREMENDOUSLY more substantial. I suspect that the limiting factor here will be how much you can safely tow with your Vanagon, not the hitch. Remember, these are actually Volkswagen tested and approved for use on the Vanagon, unlike any hitch sold in the U.S. before. I haven't seen a nicer Vanagon hitch. And they're reasonable, at $149.95 listmember price, including tow ball and hardware. (Again, it comes up for more on the website, but if you notate your list membership you'll get the list member price.)

STAINLESS STEEL MUFFLERS ('86-up): I got these from the South African supplier who sells them to Dansk, Bosal, and other manufacturers (plus, I understand, to Volkswagen dealers in South Africa). Apparantly they have for some time made both a standard and a stainless version of this muffler, but the stainless version was not being imported to the U.S.(until now!). For those of you who have read the positive comments on the list about the Bosal muffler I've been selling, this is the same heavy-duty muffler, but with a stainless steel case. The fittings and the heat shield are not stainless steel, just the muffler body itself. The whole thing is gray painted, and at first I wondered it it was indeed stainless (having expected it to be unpainted), but again, I queried my friends at Just Kampers, who don't sell this particular US-spec muffler but have sold others from the same factory. They told me that they were equally surprised when they got their first mufflers from this supplier and they were painted, but they confirmed through a water test that they were stainless and subsequently learned that this factory gray paints all of their mufflers, stainless or not, as a matter of course. I scratched the paint off of one and started my own "water test," and so far, sure enough, no rust (although it hasn't been very long yet). The good news is that by importing directly I was able to cut out the middleman and get some really good pricing. So I can offer these for the SAME $109.95 price that I was selling the standard ones for, while they last. Similarly, if you order my exhaust kit ($469.95 for 2.1L, $549.95 for Syncro, including all pipes and gaskets but not the $99-extra cat), I will include the stainless muffler for the same price while they last. Once they're gone, it will be back to the standard muffler for $109.95, so get 'em while they're here!

Other goodies that came back in: Pocket Mechanic repair manuals for the Vanagon ($16.95, available for gas or diesel) Complete lock sets for '85 up Vanagons (all handles & cylinders, keyed to match, $89.95). Complete front heater assemblies (includes front blower, core, valve, plastic housing, ducting, etc.) For right-hand-drive vans; not sure if the housing is the same or not, but the core, blower, etc. are. $229.95 (which is less than the price of the front heater core alone). I've also got a handful of those trick Syncro air filters left (which fit all Vanagons '86-up) for $16.95. Probably will be out of them after this week. And I still have a few of the brand new aftermarket British rear-facing jumpseats that I detailed to the list before, at $169.95. (See my previous post for complete description of these really trick folding seats, which mount behind the drivers seat.)

There are others, but these are what come to mind offhand. They'll all be on the Bargains Page, http://busdepot.com/ASP/SearchSpecials.asp , within a couple of hours.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW