Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 May 1999 14:30:58 -0400
From:         Karl Mullendore <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Why my 1.9 turbodiesel died....
Comments: cc: Diesel List <Audi-VW-Diesels@onelist.com>

Well, as soon as I began to drain the oil from the engine today (or tried to drain!), it became very apparent why it died! In the 7000 miles I drove it , to Oregon and back (fresh Mobil 1 oil at departure), the oil became SO thick from soot that it now looks like nasty black molasses. Just a slow dribble from the drain hole. So I guess you could say I KILLED IT!! It was 'fine' all the way home, the cool morning after, when I started it up to drive to my shop (to change the oil!), the oil light was flickering on and off, and the brake vacuum pump was not working well. After a couple minutes these symptoms disappeared, and I drove it. Apparently, the oil was so thick that the auxiliary shaft was barely turning, leading to the demise of one or more rod bearings. If I had known......I would have changed the oil a lot sooner! My theory is that the rings allowed enough blowby (and probably a LOT of blowby on the steep mountain passes!) to cause the thickening. The engine probably spent 80% of the trip 'on boost'. It was a used unit, with around 90K miles of unknown type driving, so who knows. I guess I put the nail in the coffin. I do have some leads on a TDI, hmmm...........I believe had I stayed with the Delvac 1 the soot problem may have not been quite as serious. Live and learn! Change thy oil more often even when using synthetic!

Karl '87 Syncro Westy TD (on life support waiting for a heart transplant)