Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 1999 09:14:19 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Installing sliding door screens
Comments: To: ncdragonfly <ncdragonfly@COMPUSERVE.COM>

> I just bought a sliding door screen for our 82 westfalia. ... Has anyone else > installed these screens that might have some detailed photos of this area > or perhaps some instructions they might volunteer.

I just took a look at the '89 Westy I have for sale, which was purchased in Germany and has snaps for the Westfalia sliding door screen. What follows is an explanation of where the snaps are located on this van. Since this description is of an installation into a Westfalia, if yours is a regular Vanagon you may have to modify this where it makes sense. Also, bear in mind that it is entirely possible that the snaps on this particular van were installed by the original owner in Germany, not the factory, since these screens were sold as an accessory after purchase, so the exact locations I am describing may not be precisely as Westfalia intended. Use your own judgement; whatever makes a reasonably tight fit and looks good is fine.

The screen, when installed, snaps in from the inside of the van. By way of identifying what side is top, if you place the screen flat on the floor in front of you, you will note that it is not a true rectangle; there is a part that sticks out on one corner. This "extended" part goes on the top toward the front of the van. It is meant to wrap around the heater conduit found on a Westfalia. On the van in question, one snap is positioned on the front edge of the conduit (facing toward the back of the passenger seat), and one opposite it (facing the rear of the van). There is also a snap that, on mine, is located almost behind the front passenger upper seatbelt mount; you have to swivel the mount slightly when snapping it in. While this does effectively hide the snap recepticle, when installing my snaps I think I might move it over an inch or so, since a slight bunching of the screen at that point would have no impact on its utility and wouldn't even really be noticable.

Now that you have an orientation as to what side is top, let's skip to the lower side of the screen towards the rear of the van. You will see that there is a notch there. That notch corresponds with the armrest on the sofabed of a GL Westfalia. So if you have a Westy, when snapped into place, the screen will follow the contour of the armrest and lay against the front edge of the sofabed. I I suppose that it would similarly follow the contour of the rear seat even if your Vanagon was not a Westy, since the height and location of the seat is nearly the same.

There are snaps along both sides of the sliding door. Towards the front of the van, the lowest snap is a bit more forward (away from the sliding door) than the others. Towards the rear of the van, the snaps go along the side of the sliding door except for the bottom two, which (if you have a Westy) go along the base of the sofabed.

When I said before that there were no snaps across the top, I must have been on drugs. There are indeed snaps across the top, although I'm not sure if you'd use them if you had a non-Westy with a headliner there. On a Westy, the snaps go along the heater conduit above the sliding door.

When installed, the vinyl "apron" at the bottom of the screen lays on the floor slightly, to create a tight seal against the floor.

I hope this is a help to those installing the screens. I'd recommend using some small pieces of duct tape, etc. to hold the screen up, then determine the exact positioning you like and screw in the snaps accordingly. Bear in mind that even though you have an exact duplicate of the original Westfalia screen, this doesn't mean that you must position it exactly where Westfalia intended, as long as the net result is a reasonably tight fit. Also, you can achieve a decent fit even if you do not use every single snap, so don't be afraid to skip a few if you just don't care for where they happen to line up. It looks to me that even if you used half the snaps you'd still get a reasonably effective result..

By the way, I have more screens coming the beginning of next week. Next Tuesday or Wednesday, I will be able to fill all backorders on gray screens, and will have a few extra as well, so if you haven't already ordered one, you can reserve yours now. Brown screens will follow a few days later, hopefully also with a few to spare. Again, they are $79.95, including hardware, and are zippered in the middle for easy access in and out of the van.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW