Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 1999 09:30:34 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Mechanic Horror Stories

After hearing this last guys problem with his mechanic (not knowing that you need to bleed the coolant system in a Vanagon) it reminds me of the many other horror stories that I have heard which is what prompted me to start my business. Here in NJ where I live, even the VW dealer doesn't know anything about a Vanagon. If you have head gasket problems they tell you to replace the motor with a nice rebuilt one from VW (junk!). Any idiot can remove and replace the waterboxer motor. It is the easiest thing that you can do on the van (which is why the dealer only wants to do that). I talked to a guy yesterday who lives here in Jersey too. He had a rebuilt engine from VW put in his '87 Wolfsburg a couple years ago. 20k miles later it is losing compression on one cylinder and running terrible. VW says "sorry out of warranty". VW dealer says "replace with rebuilt motor from us" another $3500. He talked to some other mechanics that told him that the motor was made of Chinese aluminum (I didn't know they made waterboxers in China:) and that it would never be right even if you rebuilt it properly. He talked to me and I said lets check it out, probably a head problem and get it back on the road for less than $1000. You should have heard the relief in his voice. He loved this van and hated to lose it but all other sources were telling him that this was a very expensive or even Non-fixable problem. Ignorance is high on these vans, look for other Vanagons in your area and point them to the List. After spending thousands of dollars at the dealer they will be surprized and relieved to find folks who actually know about thier van (which most dealer mechs don't) and can offer them affordable parts and service. That's why I went into business. Ken Wilford Van-Again John 3:16