Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 1999 08:59:25 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Reasons for a Westy top on a Jeep (Was Re: A travesty)
Comments: To: Aleksandr Milewski <n6mod@DAUNTLESS.MILEWSKI.ORG>

I hate to blaspheme here on the list, but, as GREAT as the Syncro is, I can tell you that without another 100 or so HP, it will never be a match off road for a Jeep.

Sorry, but as a pretty hard-core off roader and owner of many Jeeps, I need to dispel the myth that the Syncro is some kind of all-terrain monster. If you have the proper expectations, it is a WONDERFUL camper, though, and perfect for most areas of Baja and such.

The biggest disappointments I have had off-road so far with my Syncro is the approach angle being insufficient to clear steep ramps or drop-offs, gearing that is not low enough for picking your way through tough spots, and just not enough torque or muscle to climb short, steep hills. I would love to put bigger tires on him, but with the lack of "guts" already, I fear I would be trading a few mm of ground clearance for a noticeable loss of power (not to mention making the low speed gearing situation worse).

The ULTIMATE set-up in my mind would be a, I-6 4.0L 190 hp engine (a la Jeep), 30" tires, and some kind of auxiliary transfer case that could provide about a 35% underdrive. (Heck, it could use a 30% overdrive on the highway, too). Now THERE'S something to dream about... :-)

Of course, all said and done, Jeeps aren't too comfortable to sleep in, you can't change your clothes in a Wal-Mart parking lot in them while standing up, and... they are not a Vanagon! <g>

Brent Christensen '89 Syncro Westy '95 Cherokee Sport 4 X 4 Formerly: '69 Jeep CJ-5 w/ 8" lift, 33" BFG's, 4.58 Powr-Loc diffs F & R, Warn Overdrive, XD9000i Winch, full roll cage, etc. '64 IH Scout with 250 HP Chevy 350, SM465 trans, 10" lift with military axles, 35" BFG mudders, 65 gal fuel cap, etc. '71 Jeep Commando 225 V-6 '72 Landcruiser FJ-40

----- Original Message ----- From: Aleksandr Milewski <n6mod@DAUNTLESS.MILEWSKI.ORG> Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 1999 9:04 PM Subject: Re: A travesty