Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 1999 09:30:13 -0700
From:         Al Knoll <AL_KNOLL@HP-ROSEVILLE-OM2.OM.HP.COM>
Subject:      Salvage Titles etc.

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text Chris.

The answer seems simple to me. Here's what I did.

Totalled the car, kept the car(cass) with the salvage title. If repairable and you want to sell it keep lots of documentation and very detailed photos of the before and after. When the time comes to sell or part the car price it as salvage and offer a DEEP DISCOUNT from the kbb.

I kept mine for barter/parts/etc. The going left coast price for a running Turbo is about 2000$US and this is what your insco will pay. Now if you ice em for about four months by not settling and it gnaws away at the adjusters WIP. Finally just to get you off his desk he bargains between your estimated value and his original offer. I got 17K$ for a totalled Syncro Westie. (Ruby the red brick). But this takes time and the icing technique is not to call them or respond to their letters other than with your original valuation. DON'T call em at all. Just politely re-send your valuation and be firm about settling. Every 75 days is about right.

I salvaged the car for ~2000USD so the difference bought a new syncro, bessie, the original charolais camper but now with 5 teats.

Take good pictures of everything in and about the car. Any changes, additional scratches, dents, etc MUST be paid by the insco as they do not own the car and it is in their safekeeping. Don't misstate anything though, they're sharks and good at it.

Bonne Chance.

Al