Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 1999 10:29:48 -0700
From:         Kevin Mikkelson <kevinm@RED.PRIMEXTECH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Optima aux battery fitment

Brent, My optimal yellow top battery is mounted upright under the driver seat. It's been in the van for about 2 years without any problems. I mounted it upright; top posts pointing up and the side posts pointing towards the rear of the vehicle. I originally planned on mounting it on its side, but cutting of the battery compartment appeared to be required, I was afraid cutting of the battery compartment would weaken the seat mounting support structure.

I cut two holes in the stock battery compartment hinged cover, they allow the unused top posts to project through the cover. The little protective caps that cover the top posts were left in place and provide insulation protection of the top posts. The carpet was left uncut and covers the posts, there is a small bump under the carpet from the unused top posts but it is not too obvious. I covered the inside rear wall of the aux battery compartment with ¼ inch rubber sheet; this was done to assure the side posts would not contact the rear wall of the aux battery compartment. The ¼ inch rubber may have been over kill as the cable ends also have rubber covers. My concern was the cable end rubber boots seemed kinda thin for something so close to the rear wall of the aux battery compartment. The seat and swivel seat mechanism had to be removed to get access into the aux battery compartment. When the swivel seat mechanism was reinstalled it prevents the battery form exiting the compartment; therefore I did not use the hold down strap.

Keivn M. '89 Westy Bothell, WA

At 05:32 PM 5/11/99 -0700, Brent Christensen wrote: >OK, I'm stumped. > >According to several posts in the archives, the Optima "yellow top" battery >fits in the aux battery compartment in a Westy if you either cut off the >top posts (and use the side terminals) or you cut holes in the top of the >battery compartment cover in order to accommodate them. Then someone (Joel >Walker, I believe) made the brilliant suggestion that the battery would fit >if laid on its SIDE, thereby avoiding the cutting/drilling issue altogether. >Whoopee! I decided to buy one immediately in preparation for an upcoming >trip.... > >Well, imagine my excitement as I picked up the phone today and found a LOCAL >dealer that could get me the battery for the same price as mail order! >Luckily, I decided to actually check the dimensions of the battery and >compartment before plunking down my $170. Herein lies my dilemma: > >The Optima D43/78-950 battery (the deep cycle, "yellow top" with the top and >side terminals) dimensions are 10" L X 6.8" W X 7.8" H > >As near as I can figure, the compartment in the Westy is 11.5" L X 6.125" W >X 7.25" H measured at the closest points (nominal measurement). > >If laid on its side, the Optima will be about 1.5" too tall (wide) to fit, >and if placed upright, it will be 0.55" too tall at the tops of the >terminals. > >My questions: >Has Optima changed the dimensions of the battery? >Has someone actually mounted the battery lying on its side in the >compartment? >Did you have to hammer the little ridges inside the compartment flat in >order to fit the Optima? >What did you use as a "hold-down" strap for the battery, and where did you >attach it? > >I know this battery thread has been brought up MANY times, but I saw very >few posts from people that had actually installed the Optimas in the AUX >location. Thanks in advance for your help! > >Brent Christensen >'89 Syncro Westy "Klaus" >'95 Cherokee Sport 4 X 4 > >