Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 1999 13:50:28 -0400
From:         Michael Sullivan <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Optima aux battery fitment

Dear Brent,

I too followed this exact same advice!!!

However, what I discovered was that the ONLY way to get the Optima to fit on its side was to cut BOTH the front "lip" of the compartment and also take out the rear hinged compartment cover.

Instead, I chose to only cut the front "lip" (oh what a pain!) and cut two holes holes in the compartment cover. So now I have the Optima sitting "upright" with two unobtrusive holes in my carpet. I also cut a custom piece of wood to use as a wedge to hold the battery. Works for me.

BTW: I recommend "punching" the holes in the cover using a 1" sheet metal punch instead of drilling a hole -- much cleaner than cutting and easier too.

Cheers,

MJS

At 05:32 PM 5/11/99 -0700, Brent Christensen wrote:

>OK, I'm stumped.

>Has Optima changed the dimensions of the battery?

>Has someone actually mounted the battery lying on its side in the

>compartment?

>Did you have to hammer the little ridges inside the compartment flat in

>order to fit the Optima?

>What did you use as a "hold-down" strap for the battery, and where did you

>attach it?

>I know this battery thread has been brought up MANY times, but I saw very

>few posts from people that had actually installed the Optimas in the AUX

>location. Thanks in advance for your help!

>Brent Christensen

<bold>Michael J. Sullivan

</bold>Marshfield, MA

Tierra del Fuego 2000 or bust!

'87 VW Vanagon GL Syncro Westfalia "Sunny" (soon to be TDi-powered)

'89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Wagon "Wizard" (soon to be for sale)

'96 VW Passat TDi "Teddi" (46mpg)

work: http://www.openmarket.com

my vanagon: http://www.hsdesign.com/vanagon

scan tips: http://www.hsdesign.com/scanning