Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 1999 14:24:16 -0700
From:         Garrett Adams <gadams@JPS.NET>
Subject:      Bought new Michelin Agilis 61 tires

Yesterday I bought five new Michelin Agilis 61 tires. They are size 185 R14C, 6 ply, load range C, rated 1710 lbs. @ 54 psi. They were special ordered from Sears. First I tried Costco but they could not get them. The Agilis 61 replaces the recently discontinued Michelin XC4S, a tire I have been using since 1991. The Agilis lines series 41 and 51 are normally used on passenger cars and lighter automobiles. I understand Agilis 51's are used on the Eurovan. Michelin states new Agilis 61, 81, 101 and 106 tires are aimed at vehicles transporting heavy loads in conditions that may become difficult. IOW, vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tons.

The Agilis 61 is also an M/S tire it exhibits good road manners. While I haven't been on the Interstate with them yet I can say that so far they are quieter than the XC4S and give a nicer ride. I run them with 42 psi front and 48 psi rear.

On the down side they were not cheap at $103.99 each. Perhaps a little competition will drive the price down a bit.

Info on this relatively new series can be found at the Michelin web site: http://www.michelin.com/us/eng/news/agilis/1.htm http://www.michelin.com/us/eng/news/agilis/3.htm

Garrett Adams 1983.5 Adventurewagen GL