Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 1999 19:44:55 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Intro!
Comments: To: Pete Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>

Pete-

Welcome aboard!

I am Matthew Bulley, currently fairly quiet, as I run my own business, and we are very busy right now. Often very verbose, when business is a little less hectic.

1982 Westfalia under my bum, also 1985 Jetta. Have owned a dozen and a half VW's and worked a motor-builder for a Porsche/VW shop earlier in life. Know a little about VW's and don't mind sharing, and that is why I am here.

Honorably Discharged US Marine (Public Affairs NCO for an Infantry Battalion), Graduate of East Carolina University, BS Communication/Philosophy of Ethics minor. Lived and traveled across the US.

Love exploring, camping, and hiking, use our Westy to facilitate same. Love the design and capability. Picked the 1982 after a year of looking, and deliberating about the air v. water designs. Prepping for a rebuild on the motor in the coming weeks. Will share pics/knowledge through additions to our VW site (www.bulley-hewlett.com/VWindex.html )

Often offer the "voice of reason" comments (take that with a grain of salt) when someone posts something truly stupid. Beat the drum for "preventive maintenance by qualified mechanic" rather than "hauling around parts and fixing on the side of the road".

Beautiful and talented 6-foot-tall wife Suzanne is the apple of my eye. Ready for kids emotionally and physically, but need to settle the business a bit before we rely on the income.

Look forward to hearing your insights, thoughts and experience...

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Pete Cassidy [SMTP:pcassidy@APPLE.COM] Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 1999 6:27 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Intro!

Hi all,

I've just joined the Vanagon mailing list & guess it's only polite to introduce myself, so here goes!

My name's Pete Cassidy. Myself and my wife, Lynda, arrived in the US in November '97 as a result of an internal transfer with Apple Computer whom I work for. We're originally from Ireland. Anyways, Lynda's brother was already here in Sacramento (Paul - busman@jps.net from the Type 2 mailing list). He insisted that we pick up a Vanagon. We ended up paying about $2,000 for a Country Homes van in reasonable shape. Picture at http://www.jps.net/lyndau/images/gina.jpg After a few weeks, we were cruising down I5 when there was a clangy munchy noise as the flex plate departed company with the rest of the transmission. Oops! $500 later, we were back in action!!

Well ... we had a lot of fun with that bus; travelling to Mendocino, breaking down in the middle of nowhere, camping on the side of back roads. We spent about $1,500 in total getting 'Gina' back in good shape; I even ended up re-wiring all the cooked ECU electrics myself!

Then Lynda became pregnant - due November & Gina had to go. We put an advert in the Sacramento Bee and after a few days a young couple arrived to check it out. A few hours later & they were off to Wyoming for three months travelling. They got a good deal too at $2,500.

Paul (busman), Lynda's brother, traded his lovely '90 Lexus for a few grand & we took up his payments. He then went out and bought 'Mary' - a '70 Westy three months his junior! Everyone thought he was crazy! So we drove around in our comfy, cozy Lexus. Everything was great. Baby Katie duly arrived in mid-November & all was well with the world ..... well, sorta.

Ever tried changing a wriggly-damp baby on the back seat of a leather-clad car? Not easy! We knew something wasn't right. Paul in the meantime, Lexus-less, was swanning around Northern CA in his Westy without a care in the world; we were swathed in cotton wool, cossetted with electric everythings, in the leather lap of luxury. *sigh* how booooring!! Our car never breaks down, we can't go away for spontaneous weekends anymore, it just doesn't *feel* like driving, Katie hates the car (and loves Paul's bus!). It didn't take much to convince Lynda in the end.

Last week we sold the Lexus and used the funds to buy an '88 Wolfsburg Edition Vanagon with the weekender option. Woohoo!! The guy who bought the Lexus thought we were nuts. Maybe we are!

The ironic part is that the young couple returned from Wyoming after 3 months and 7,000 miles. He got a job here at Apple, in the building next door. I get to see my old bus in the parking lot every morning ....

Sorry for the long and rambling intro. I'd better stop now!

Pete C '88 Wolfsburg

-- Peter Cassidy, pcassidy@apple.com Sr. Test Dev. Engineer (916) 394-5302 - phone Sacramento Operations Center (916) 815-0762 - pager Apple Computer Inc.