Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 1999 17:41:59 -0500
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: CV joint replacement questions
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

Hi Jeff:

As one who just successfully played the CV joint game, I am qualified to answer your question(s)!

I've edited your message with my answers.

Marshall Ruskin

<snip>. > >1. I believe there are two CV joints for each axle on each side (meaning 4 >total on the 2WD bus). How do I decide which right side CV joint needs to be >replaced, inner or outer, or should they both be replaced?

I am under the impression that it is usually the outer (wheelside) CV that fails. However, you will have to remove the half-axle and check them out to be sure. You should only replace the one that has failed, unless the other one shows wear in the races.

>2.Can I do the job without special tools or machinery? I see in Bentley the >axel or something getting pressed out of the CV joint with a press. Can this >job be done by a backyard mechanic without a press?

Well, everyone else but me could do it without special tools. The problem on mine was that the inner race was so damn tight, it could not be removed without a hyd. press. Pump, pump, pump... BANG, it came free.

I am told it is quite rare, but not unheard of, for a press to be needed.

I had the 12 point tool for my socket wrench, a Black & Decker Workmate to do assembly and dis-assembly on, a pair of "cir-clip" pliers that weren't usefull, lots of brake cleaner spray, a 10" socket extender (required), a 3" socket extender (helpful). Of course, lots of CV grease. Everyone bitches about that stuff, but I think it's sensuous ;>).

>3.When replacing the axel what keeps the 8 or 10 allen bolts (or star pattern >bolts) that connect each end of the axel from loosening.

Well, there are lockwashers, and the bolts go right through the Boot's flange, and through holes in the CV's outer race and screw into the hub.

Do I replace the >double holed washer/bracket type thing that the allen bolts go throught with >new ones? Does that bracket work as a lock (washer) device?

No, you can reuse those. You are speaking of the spacer that goes between the bolts on the outside of the boot flange. Make sure that when you reattach your bolts, that you test out BOTH holes in the spacer, to make sure that you have started with the right hole, as the holes are not evenly spaced. If you start with the wrong hole, the spacer won't line up properly with the boot flange holes.

After putting in the first spacer properly, all the others will go in properly by default.

(After replacing >the transmission and 12,000 miles some of the allen bolts on both sides of >the trans. had come loose--lost some CV grease--I suppose that has added to >the CV failure.)

Remind me to check mine this weekend.

MOST important:

MAKE SURE you put the inner race on facing the right way! Mark it somehow, (scratch it or something) so that you know which way it is oriented while still on the half axle.

ALSO, the outer race has a groove running all around it. That goes away from the axle middle, points out.

If you have the inner race on BW's, the outer race will not install or not install easily, as it should, in the proper orientation.

Any further questions, just ask.

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy