Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 1999 21:57:49 -0700
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Importing SA Vans

At 02:29 PM 13/05/99 -0700, you wrote: ----- At 2:11 PM 5/13/99, KENWILFY@AOL.COM wrote: >>I thought about importing SA Vanagons too. >>Two problems though: >>1. Doesn't meet safety standards for the years that I would want to import >>it (92-99). >>2. These things are expensive to buy over in SA. I checked out a website >>where they advertise South African Vanagons and did the conversion from Rand >>to Dollars. Most of the vans were well over $10,000. I guess that is why >>they are considered luxury vehicles over there. > > Since the Aussies drive on the wrong side of the road, too, I'm > a bit surprised that there isn't a market for the SA Vanagons > in Australia. > > Or is it a VW market territory issue? > > Anyone care to comment?

Ari,

I'd be the same situation here in Oz too.If that model van was not marketed here in that year,I think ADR (Aust.Design Rules) requirements would not be complied with and therefore - no go. The last T3s to be sold here was at the end of '92 (some are referred to as '93s as that is when they were first registered) There are SA vans here that have been private imports but they are ones that are of year models that were also maketed here even though there are often slight variations in their manufacture. I really doubt that '99 SA T3 would be considered (by ADR rules -not me!) to be of the equivalent safety standard of the current T4 models available here.

Steve O. Blue Mountains,NSW Aus '92 Transporter WBX '76 Crew Cab '68 Beetle