Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 May 1999 11:49:38 -0400
From:         David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: screwed part deux..the insurance
              company'soffer??./salvagecert.???
Comments: To: Mark Mages <wasserbox@YAHOO.COM>

At 05:32 5/14/99 -0700, you wrote:

>How do you all get 15%? I only get 10%... I have been >with them since 89, and I have gotten a refund check >every year except for 92 & 93.

I think we may be conflating USAA and USAA-CIC here. USAA, I believe, has the annual dividend, and USAA-CIC the occasional refund.

USAA membership is restricted to active-duty and retired (and maybe now former?) military *officers* and has been around since maybe 1949? The child-company, USAA-CIC was founded in mid-'70s and is open to current and former dependants of USAA-eligible people (and their children, and their children's children etc), and maybe others as well.

The basic principle (aside from military fraternity) is that actuarily speaking military officers are low-risk drivers; by insuring only that pool, and by imbuing the company with an attitude both familiar with and sympathetic to the special needs of the military (doing almost all of their business by phone, for example), they have achieved both excellent service and very good rates. Every time in my recollection that Consumer Reports looks at insurance of various types, USAA has shown up in the top couple of slots for that type of insurance.

My father and most of my siblings are/were naval officers (I was the black* enlisted sheep). They are very satisfied with USAA. I, as a former dependant am very satisfied with USAA-CIC, even though they *don't* pay a dividend every year.

* Yes, I really was. B/c of confusion btw "Caucasian" and "Colored," the noble and great State of Maryland carried me on its license rolls as a "race code A" (black, colored, American Negro) for eight years. Only two people noticed: the clerk who corrected my renewal application, scratching out C and writing in W (and muttering "you service boys are all the same <g>) and later (b/c the state of Maryland ignored the corrected application and simply reissued the license as before) the policeman in New York who was coming out of the one-way street that I was turning in to (accident, I assure you. I was an incorrigible speeder, and my maneuvering was such that grown men had both a) demanded to be let out of the car and b) paid me $5 for the ride and wanted to do it again -- seriously -- but I did *not* abuse one-way streets. The very idea!). Anyway, the cop (remember the cop?) kept doing this cyclic number on my face (high-color Nordic/Bavarian face and bushy red beard), my Navy ID (picture and thumbprint), my Maryland licence (little folded piece of yellow paper). He didn't say anything, but ISdTM that his hand was getting nervous. Finally light dawned before he shot me, and I explained. He let me off with a warning, unlike the judge around that time who correctly judged that I had come to his court in uniform to get sympathy, and gave it to me -- in spades!

Youth is wasted on the young... <g>

david David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net