Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 May 1999 14:27:42 -0700
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Re: CB antenna
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM>

> Any suggestions on > placement > and mounting techniques?

A friend of mine has a nice mounting setup that I have been trying to track down with no luck so that I could do this also to my van. He has an old Radio Shack antenna with a fold-down gutter mount bracket that is attached just behind the drivers door. He keeps the antenna folded down and out of the way when not in use. When he needs it he just reaches outside the driver's window and unfolds the antenna to the straight-up position. His CB radio is mounted on a bracket just up and behind the left side of his head. There was a round hanger-like thing already there that he just unscrewed and placed the bracket in the same hole. He routed the antenna wire up under the pop top to get inside the van. Most people would mount the CB up in front around the dash, but I like his setup because the speaker is close to your ear so you don't have to turn it up too loud. It might seem like an awkward setup since you have to turn your head to see the channels, but it's really not much different than looking down at an under-dash mounted radio. Plus it is less visible to a potential thief looking through your window and checking out your van.

I'd like to do this same setup on my van, but I've been unable to find any gutter-mount antennas that fold down. Radio Shack apparently doesn't make them anymore, and I haven't found anything similar in my web searches. I did find a celluar antenna bracket that would probably work, but I was hoping to not have to buy that just for the bracket. If anyone knows a source for this fold-down bracket, I would like to hear about it.

Steve

89 Westy