Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 May 1999 23:54:34 -0500
From:         Rob & Lrae Winterkorn <volksman@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      van a gone
Comments: To: dbj <dbginfo@onelist.com>

Well my long winter project: 1985 seater has been killed yesterday. I must admit the Vanagon is one tough van for side impact. Thank God my kids were not in there, but if they had, it looks as though it would of been rough but survivable.

The van was hit by a four door Nissan Sentra going a minimum of 35 possible 45 mph according to the investigation by the police. He never hit the brakes, and is also doing well. We all refused medical attention. The nissan was totaled no doubt about it.

My thoughts are the Van will be totaled. It was hit from the middle of the sliding door to the rear wheel about 16 inches up. The mount for the trailing arm was pushed up and in causing the wheel to camber out a noticeable amount. The door still slides very well, after I kicked out the large compound dent.

On impact the van lifted off the ground at least a foot possibly three and landed very hard 180 degree's around in front of the car that was a major cause to the accident

The reason I think it will be totaled is mainly from the damage to the trailing arm bracket position, and the fact of all three motor mounts bent. Now I had a GTI 16V with my own fabricated motor mounts, so that may not happen with the stock set up. There are no buckles in the roof, all doors work great including the rear hatch with no change in jams.

I'm working on pics.

Rob

Looking for 87-91 weekender or seater with a good body poor mechanically ok.

Oh, my wife also though I should tell you about the case of coke in the back. Scary, box blew apart four killed cans, seven in critical condition, eight with minor injuries. I unlike the case of coke was wearing my seat belt.