Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 May 1999 06:27:07 -0700
From:         Debi <mtngal@SIERRATEL.COM>
Subject:      LIST ADMIN. please help!!!

You help needed in solving.... p-mail comes through My server will not accept CAPS!!! Some how I'm automatically getting booted from the list (?? from someone else using caps in my address??). When my mailer rejects mail addressed in caps, Gerry (and/or my server) see's it as mis-addressed mail and kicks it out, AND GERRY KICKS ME OFF THE LIST!!!! PLEASE HELP FROM YOUR END AND CHECK YOUR ADDRESS BOOK FOR CAPS (for my address and make sure you use lower case fonts)

TIA, Mtngal Read below for letter passed to me from Gerry!!

----- Original Message ----- From: L-Soft list server at Vanagon List (1.8c) <LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> To: Debi Tippets <mtngal@SIERRATEL.COM> Sent: Saturday, May 08, 1999 12:00 AM Subject: Your removal from the vanagon list | Sat, 8 May 1999 00:00:45 | You have been automatically removed from the vanagon list (Vanagon & | EuroVan discussion list) as a result of repeated delivery error reports | from your mail system. This decision was based on the automatic error | monitoring policy in effect for the list, and has not been reviewed or | otherwise confirmed by a human being. If you receive this message, it | means that something is wrong: while you are obviously able to receive | mail, your mail system has been regularly reporting that your account did | not exist, or that you were otherwise permanently unable to receive mail. | Here is some information which may assist you or your local help desk in | determining the cause of the problem: | - The failing address is mtngal@SIERRATEL.COM. | - The first error was reported on 4 May 1999. | - Since then, a total of 5 delivery errors have been received. | - The last reported error was: Mailer mail2.SIERRATEL.COM said: "550 not | local host SIERRATEL.COM, not a gateway" | PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS MESSAGE. While you can of course re-subscribe | to the list, it is important for you to report this problem to your mail | administrator so that it can be solved. This problem is not specific to | the vanagon list, and also affects your private mail. This means that YOU | HAVE PROBABLY LOST SOME PRIVATE MAIL AS WELL. Anyone trying to write to | you during the same time frame will probably have received the same | errors for the same reason. The vanagon list is but one of the many | people who may have tried to write to you while your mail system was malfunctioning. | DO NOT LET TECHNICAL PEOPLE CONVINCE YOU THAT THIS IS NORMAL. It is never | normal for a mail system to claim that a valid, working account does not | exist, just as it would not be normal for the post office to return some | of your mail with "addressee unknown" when the address was written | correctly. It is true that some mail systems are less reliable than | others, and your technical people may be doing the best they can with the | tools they have. But, ultimately, the level of service that you are | receiving is the result of a business decision, and not something due to | a universal technical limitation that one can only accept. Reliable mail | systems do exist, and it is ultimately up to you to decide whether this | level of service is acceptable or not.