Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 1999 10:24:11 +0200
From:         Duclos Darie <Darie.Duclos@UNIFR.CH>
Subject:      86 swaying like a boat

( I sent this yesterday but I don't think it made it. Sorry if you received it twice.)

Hi all,

I have a 1986 Vanagon Westfalia which I brought over to Europe when I moved here a few years ago.

I had a scary thing happen a while ago on a crowded highway. The tail of the bus started to sway left and right almost uncontrollably. I managed to pull over onto the shoulder and calm my heartrate but I refused to drive the vehicle after this. My friend says he doesn't find it *that* bad but I've driven this bus for 4 years now and it was never like this. We did some tests in a parking lot and it feels to me like the whole bus is balancing on a pivot. It feels much like a boat rolling over side waves.

I changed the rear shocks 2 years ago. At that time I remember that the bus was easily subject to sidewind and I had to be careful driving around curves, but it didn't feel this 'loose'. Admittedly, since then, I got a Peugeot 106 and may have gotten use to a different kind of suspension..

I found in the archives that tires could be responsible for this, but my tires haven't been changed recently. I saw postings about sway-bars but since there isn't supposed to be one in the back, I guess it couldn't be responsible for the sudden instability of the tail. I'll see if the shocks are gone again. What would defective springs feel like?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help (and thanks to those who responded about the fridge. It's a long weekend coming up and we'll hopefully get all this working for the next long weekend).

Darie '86 Pop-top

=============================================================== Darie Duclos Systems Manager "All my life I've wanted Institut d'Informatique to be somebody, it's Universite de Fribourg only now I see I should Darie.Duclos@unifr.ch have been more specific." tel: +41 26 300 83 42 fax: +41 26 300 96 42 -- Lily Tomlin ===============================================================