Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 May 1999 14:58:59 -0400
From:         Karl Mullendore <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shift Linkage Help
Comments: To: "Pollard, Matthew" <Matthew.Pollard@OREADCA.COM>

Yes, the entire job can be done from inside the van. If I remember correctly, after you remove the boot, there is a circlip around the shifter. Remove that, and the 2 bolts holding the swivel-ball assembly to the floor (after marking the bolt location on the metal+ACE-), and pull it up and off. Spray a little silicone spray in around the underside, and push the ball socket and it's rubber enclosure out through the bottom of the metal piece. After removing the old plastic (IF there's any of it left), use the silicine spray again to help the new socket ass'y slide into the rubber. Put it all back together, not so bad, huh? Last time I bought the parts from the dealer, they weren't too bad, YMMV. Good luck+ACE-

Karl

----- Original Message ----- From: Pollard, Matthew +ADw-Matthew.Pollard+AEA-OREADCA.COM+AD4- To: +ADw-vanagon+AEA-GERRY.VANAGON.COM+AD4- Sent: Monday, May 17, 1999 2:07 PM Subject: Shift Linkage Help

+AD4- Howdy there, +AD4- My stick-shift lever is about 3+ACI- lower than it was before my sister borrowed +AD4- it, and reverse is very easy to get into. Upon further inspection, the +AD4- lower 1/2 ball and stuff that is contained in the shift housing has crumbled +AD4- (like a fine feta or blue cheese, but without the smells). How hard is the +AD4- replacement of these parts? Can I do it all from inside the bus? Or do I +AD4- need to crawl under her to do it? Can the stick-shift lever be removed from +AD4- inside the bus, as it looks like I will need to slip the parts on it? +AD4- +AD4- I doubt that Ron carries these parts, so off to the dealer to be reamed.... +AD4- -Matthew +AD4- 84 weekender