Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 May 1999 17:48:59 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westy Fridge Project
Comments: To: SPENCERVW@aol.com

The pump we are referring to is the left most knob in the fridge control panel. The same knob is also the ignition button or lighter. If you pull it out and push it in it will pump air into the pilot chamber. The pump is only used in the lighting process and ideally should not be needed. The reason it is used is that the pilot light is in a very small chamber. If the chamber fill up with propane before the pilot lights, there will not be enough oxygen for the flame to occur. This means that the chamber is "flooded" and you need to release the safety button to stop the gas flow and then pump the air pump several times to add oxygen and dilute the propane. Then push the safety button in and quickly push the ignitor button repeatedly until the pilot lights. Learning this procedure is the key to getting the fridge to light at will. The procedure works better on some fridges than on others. One of the causes for this is that the pump loses its seal and very little air is pushed into the chamber as a result. I fix this when the fridge must be pulled out of the cabinet for any reason. I disassemble the pump and lubricate it with a little Vaseline on the piston. It is possible to get to the pump in a fashion by removing the fridge door and then the fridge cabinet front. 3 screws need to be removed then pull gently on the right edge of the cabinet front. About all you can do from here is look at it, but you could put a couple drops of oil into the pump vent hole with the right oil can nozzle. The pump has proven to be inadequate over time and VW lists a retrofit kit and procedure to improve it's performance. I have never tried one of these myself. Has anyone?

Mark

SPENCERVW@aol.com wrote: > > OK, I'll bite, What is the pump up device everyone is talking about? Where is > it on an 85? The owners manual doesn't mention it. Am I missing something or > pump challenged > Spencer