Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 May 1999 13:55:46 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Repaired water tank sesor!

Well, thanks to the assistance of David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net>, I got the water tank sensor working properly today! It required modification of the circuit that runs the three LED's in the panel. Here's the basics of what I (we) did - I will post full details when I get a chance to write it all up. (This is from memory, and there may be a few points that I am incorrect about - David will correct me, I am sure <g>)

Essentially, the red LED was not lighting when the tank was empty (it would stay yellow). Upon examination of the sensor wand in the tank with a volt meter, it was determined that when the bottom reed switch engaged ("empty"), it was not providing sufficient voltage (5v) to trigger the red LED.

Using a 1 mega ohm linear-taper potentiometer in place of the resistor on the circuit board that controls the red LED (had to remove the resistor with clippers), I dialed the pot until the red light lit up with the float in the "empty" position. Then I measured the voltage at the green sending unit wire, making sure it was correct (David?) Then I tested the other two float positions to make sure the LED's all worked.

I then measured the resistance of the pot where it was set, determined the value to be 650k ohms. Using an assortment of resistors that I got from Radio Shack, we combined four of them in a little "bundle" which I then soldered together. Since it was too bulky to fit to the front of the board, I soldered the bundle in place on the back side of the circuit board. I shielded the bundle from accidentally shorting to some of the other components and solder points by encasing it in a small piece of 3/8" heat shrink tubing.

By changing the voltage value at which the red LED kicks in, I now have a working water level sensor! Many thanks to David for his electoral engineering expertise. :-)

Brent Christensen '89 Syncro Westy "Klaus" '95 Cherokee Sport