Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 May 1999 12:16:07 -0700
From:         Courtney Snow <csnow@FROGNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: My First Oil Filter Failure

Michael A. Radtke wrote: > > Hello, > > I have followed oil filter testimonials and experiments on this list and in > the media for years. While I understood that a better filter is a good > thing, I couldn't figure out which filter was "better." > > This note is about a specific observed failure. > > A short time ago, I noticed bearing knock for a second or two just after > starting my Vanagon after not using it for 10 hours or more. I immediately > suspected the anti-drainback valve in the oil filter. I changed the oil > filter Saturday, and after the usual startup and check for leaks, the > Vanagon sat until this morning. No bearing knock on startup. > > I looked at the used filter, and I understand how the anti-drainback valve > works, but I couldn't see any obvious physical problem with it. The famous > Mopar oil filter study says to expect this failure from a Fram (yes it > was), but I don't see how the Fram design is flawed other than the valve > flap is a cone shape rather than flat as it is in other filters. (I > disregarded the "rough metal backplate" words since the plate referred to > looks the same as used in other filter brands.) > > Thanks for listening. > > Mike '84 GL '58 Isetta

I just got finished replacing a Fram filter on Otto. I was driving to West Virginia on Sunday when I noticed the engine being ecspecially loud. On further inspection I found a leak in the filter and only a quart and a half of oil left in the engine (the rest is all over the engine compartment and the tailgate). Changed to a Mobil filter and evil appears to be punished. The morals here are: Don't skimp on the filter Fram is a product of satan

Happy travels,

Chris Riddle 85 weekender "Otto" Athens, OH