Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 May 1999 09:36:13 -0700
From:         Pete Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Tales of woe

Hi again all,

Well .... pride comes before a fall, as they say. And didn't it just!

Spent a little time at the weekend giving our new Wolfsburg a little loving care; a little polish here, a little tidy there. My - doesn't it look *good*! Myself and baby Kate, Lynda & her brother Paul (the Busman) decided to take off for lunch a few miles away. Cruise slowly through the neighbourhood in our sleek new Vanagon - you get the idea!

Anyways - disaster struck on the trip home. With only 50 yards to go I turned the last bend for the home stretch. *Kerrrash*!!! The air conditioning ducting ripped itself from the ceiling & came crashing down between the seats, narrowly missing beaning poor baby Katie! Plenty of finger-pointing and giggles from the neighbours' kids. (guess there goes our street cred!)

You know the next bit. When we got back, myself and Busman Paul checked out the ducts. The plastic around the mounting points had got brittle and had cracked around the bolts. We 'appropriated' a handful of 2" round washers from the back seat mounts of his '70 Westy & re-bolted the A/C ducts. The only difficult part was getting those awkward air seals back on, and we had to remove the sun visors and lower the front section. Result; a *much* more solid roof & no sagging in the middle (at least not of the A/C ducting! 8-) ) Funny that it should have been mentioned on the list during the week.

So .... yesterday evening I got down to some more maintenance work. Picked up some Platinum plugs & stuck 'em in. Checked the air filter (it's new!), drained the oil & popped off the oil filter. No bypass valve on the old one! Added a new K&N oil filter. The oil glopped into the drain pan in big treacly lumps. Blop! By the way, there was no copper seal on the drain plug on my van either! I put one in as Mr. Bentley seemed to want one fitted. Threw in 4.5 litres of Mobil 1 synthetic oil, topped up the coolant & started the van. Fingers crossed!

Almost straight away I noticed a constant drip-drip-drip from the right side of the engine. The drip rate increases as the engine speeds up. There was also a water drip from the other side, nearer to the back. Oh no!!

It seems that the expansion bottle is cracked at the seam on the left side. This is the water drip problem. The second one appears to be coming from the corner of the cylinder head seal. I stopped the motor & checked the seal. It's a bit perished & 'bulgy' in spots. I could find where the leak was in the seal.

My questions; do I need a new cylinder head seal? There's no traditional head gasket, right? I'd need to pull the exhaust system, pull the injectors & the intakes, remove the rocker cover & valve train? Remove the pushrods & pop the head? Do the cylinder seals need replacing too? About how long will the job take?

Hellllllp!!!

Pete C

'88 Wolfsburg with a leak --

-- Peter Cassidy, pcassidy@apple.com Sr. Test Dev. Engineer (916) 394-5302 - phone Sacramento Operations Center (916) 815-0762 - pager Apple Computer Inc.