Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 May 1999 11:42:17 -0500
From:         Alan Bosch <arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My First Oil Filter Failure
Comments: To: Courtney Snow <csnow@FROGNET.NET>

<<<snip>>> Changed to a Mobil filter and evil appears to be punished. The morals here are: Don't skimp on the filter Fram is a product of satan <<<snip>>>

I'm no expert - I don't even play one on TV - but I've had enough VW's under my belt to have picked up a thing or two. While there has never been an oil, or oil filter, related failure in any on my VW's, I'd like to think that's a result of regular oil and filter changes. Having used Fram filters on my Rabbits, Jetta, Fox, and Passat, I find them to be a good filter for those cars. They are certainly readily available, inexpensive, and with due diligence, reliable. That said, however, I would NEVER - well, okay, only if I was stranded, and couldn't get a Mahle aired in from somewhere - put one on my Vanagon. Everything I have read suggests - emphasis on suggests! - the Frams are too restrictive, and do not have the proper by-pass characteristics necessary for the optimal function of the wasserboxer engine. So I wonder if the Fram that gave you problems was just the result of being a little used. If that's the case, then the Mobil filter you substituted will, in due course, allow the same problem to surface. If you don't want to skimp, then buy the right filter in the first place - Mahle, or, if you have deeper pockets, genuine VW.

My $0.02, YMMV, and assorted other disclaimers...

Alan Bosch Phred ('88 Wolfsburg)