Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 May 1999 16:16:53 -0700
From:         kW <kokopellis@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1980 Westfalia checks
Comments: To: Anthony Kimmons <akimmons@PDQ.NET>

Greetings,

Check the gas system and tank for the infamous rust hole on the top. If it is really low on gas when you look at it there could be a problem. My 82 was pretty empty when I bought it and I actually ran out of gas bringing it home. I saw gas flowing on the concrete when I filled it and the tank ended up having a rust hole on the top center. It could also leak form fuel and vapor lines. Check the integrity of the hoses expansion tank hoses and the one over the gas tank.

I would check Compression. The air cooled are notorious for dropping a valve. The head gasket problem is not a factor.

The tranny could also be getting worn out. Mine made a slight noise in second which eventually failed.

Good luck and remember to tell him that he will most likely have to sink additional money into this van to get it in great shape but with the help of this list and some of the vendors he should do fine.

Those were the things I found on mine.

Good luck, Ken Wyatt 82 westy