Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 May 1999 10:45:01 -0700
From:         Dave Bayer <daveb@CP.NET>
Subject:      How do anti-ping additives work?

I know we used to have someone who worked for one of the big gas manufactures on the list... Maybe someone can help me with this...

I am trying to figure out if anti-ping additives merely slow the burn rate of the fuel-air mixture or actually just increase the charges' resistance to detonation (and if it does the latter, how does it accomplish this).

The reason I am asking is that I am trying to figure out why some engines with kncock sensors require "premium" gas. I am also trying to figure out if there is any truth to the statement that running regular gas in say an Audi engine would retard the timing and therefore reduce the power the engine puts out (the arguement was that since the timing was delayed, the enigne would lost power - which does not make sense to me because the lower octane gas will complete its burn quicker than the premium stuff anyway thus offseting the delayed spark).... Of course, that is my "logically" view of a system I know little about.

Anyway, knowledge on this is greatly appreciated...

dave