Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 May 1999 15:20:33 -0700
From:         Dana Morphew <kdm@WHIDBEY.COM>
Subject:      Re: [DIESEL] Question on 1.9 Vanagon conversion
Comments: To: "Paul A. Cianciolo" <paulc@snet.net>
Comments: cc: diesel@vwfans.com

Paul, I'm rebuilding a 1.9L turbo diesel as a N.A. engine. The injection lines for the 1.6L can be carefully bent to fit the 1.9L. My block is at the machinist pending my finding a set of .020" over pistons and a rod with which they can complete the necessary clearance work, so I can't run out to the shed to look at the block to help you. I too wish we could find someone, a place, a way...to determine which parts are unique to the 1.9L and which interchange with the 1.6L. Funds are tight for me, but I think I'm going to buy the Haynes that covers the A3 Jetta and Golf for the 1.9L info. -Dana-

"Paul A. Cianciolo" wrote: > > Hello Folks, > > I am converting a 1.6 diesel vanagon to a 1.9 TD. > > I was under the impression that the block was very similar. This seems to > have some exceptions > The injector pump mounting plate does not locate the pump in the exact > location that it was in > on the 1.6. When bolting the plate on it appear that the pump is slightly > clockwise in position. > Lower down the block. I think this may necessitate the need for a different > set of injection lines. > > Also the oilfilter/cooler mount seems to be reversed? That is the 2 holes > that support it on the bottom > are ok but the top hole is on the left instead of on the right. Does this > seem right or am I missing something? > > There is a machined surface that looks like something is suppose to mate to > ut just above the oilcooler as well. > > Also the water outlet on the block next to the oil cooler does not line up > with piece I took off the 1.6 > > Do I need to look for 1.9 specific parts for these places? Gaskets as > well? > > Any help would be greatly appreciated > > Thank you > > Back to the bench I will be putting manifolds on this afternoon > > Paulc > W1VLF > Cloudbounce Webpage http://www.qsl.net/w1vlf/ > > 1986 Vanagon Gas > 1982 Vanagon Diesel Need engine and mounting parts!! > > Paulc > W1VLF > Cloudbounce Webpage http://www.qsl.net/w1vlf/ > > 1986 Vanagon Gas > 1982 Vanagon Diesel Need engine and mounting parts!!