Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 May 1999 21:33:51 -0400
From:         Gilles Gallant <GGallant@RDS.CA>
Subject:      Objet : Re: 85GL grinds going into 3rd Gear
Comments: To: thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM

Hi Brian,

I got the same problem, but instead of the 3rd gear it WAS the 2nd. I changed the dino transmission oil for a German synthetic one (very expensive $25.00 CA for 1 liter), so it cost me $140.00 CA to change my transmission oil and I also put 6 onces of Bi-Tron 2-4-6 in the trans. I can't tell you if it is the oil or the Bi-Tron additive but I got very good result. My trans is stil not like a new but a lot better. Another thing to get the shift better is to double clutch between the 2nd and 3rd, It is a pain but less than a $3 000 transmission.

Hope this will help you. Good luck.

Gilles Gallant 1990 Westfalia Montreal, Quebecv >>> Karl Mullendore <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM> 17/05/99 22h42 >>> Sounds like a worn syncronizer ring on 3rd gear. In a Vanagon that is the most often used gear. Could also possibly be a cracked 3rd-4th hub, or the beginnings of.

Karl

----- Original Message ----- From: Brian Cirulnick <techrat@VM.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 17, 1999 4:39 PM Subject: 85GL grinds going into 3rd Gear