Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 May 1999 08:35:32 -0700
From:         Karl Batzler <KBatzler@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Australian Transporter TDI!

>Karl mullendore said: > And could someone please tell me once again why VW refuses to import the > very models that we all drool over the most? (Gawd...VW is SO screwed up > these days!) TDI Syncro vans......TDI Syncro Golf wagons.....3-cyl. TDI

USA is the most difficult country to import to. I have some contacts with the VW/Audi group here in the US...It really isn't so easy to import a vehicle (as a manufacturer) to the US. By the time all the federal specs, not to mention smog certification (for CA, 49 state and NE specs), a cool mil can be spent for each vehicle type and engine option. Justification must then be made as to whether or not the vehicle sales will be sufficient enough to off-set the costs. Let's face it. Most Americans don't understand VW's. They seem to be content with driving thier Caravans and Camarys. I must say though, that VW really has cleaned thier act up in the last few years. Quality control is up drastically, and most prices reasonable (although the new EV seem a little stiff consider the low numbers being imported. My 2 cents... Karl Batzler 84 Vanagon 87 Audi 5000 S (possible doner) La Quinta, CA