Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 May 1999 12:39:50 -0400
From:         David--M <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM>
Subject:      Buses in the UK report

I just got back from a 2-week trip to the UK. I saw lots of buses. More in 2 weeks than I've seen in 2 years here in New York. Saw lots of panel vans, in fact about 50% of the buses I saw were panel vans used by local contractors. Both Vanagon and Eurovan types (all called 'Transporters'). Saw several Vanagons with high-tops, several different types but all had side windows. Unfortunately I never had my camera with me when I saw them. Only saw one passenger Vanagon with square headlights - called 'Multivan'. Saw one old Vanagon with a pop-top with the 'Kamping' insignia on the back - no doubt a non-Westfalia camper conversion. Lots of type 2 buses.

Another interesting fact - I watched a TV documentary about a famous soccer player called George Best. At some point he got into trouble with the police and was taken to prison. They showed the scene on TV and he was taken away in a black round headlight Vanagon marked 'HMPS' (Her Majesty's Prison Service). So Vanagons were used by the Prison Service in England.

In the UK, there are several types of non-VW vans not seen here in the USA. The Toyota Hi-Ace, Vauxhall/Bedford Midi, Renault Trafic, and a Mazda model. I also saw a lot of Mercedes vans. One of those I saw had three rear-facing sets behind the driver and passenger seat. There are lots of factory high-top vans of all types - the rear doors go all the way up to the top of the high-top.