Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 May 1999 21:09:26 -0700
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Björn Ratjen <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      how to put out fires

You will find in the archives several posts about fires. I posted a summary about fire extinguishers and how to use them on April 24, 1998 ("fire extinguisher researched"). I don't want to repeat myself therefore I will keep this short. The basic rule can be read in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: don't panic!

One point about magnesium fires in cars. They are recognizable often by spraks and spontaneous combustions when they come in contact with fluids. and will be aggravated by water. Magnesium takes oxygen from water. The transmission housing can contain magnesium components. I attended a fire of a T2 (older style VW) where this was an issue. Dry sand will do as first aid extinguishing agent.

By the way firefighters often know what they are doing.

Björn Ratjen firefighter (among other things) Björn Ratjen, Ph.D. Mill Bay, B.C. phone/fax (250) 743-7575