Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 May 1999 22:51:46 -0230
From:         Bob Norman <B.Norman@THEZONE.NET>
Subject:      Re: battery cable contact problem
Comments: To: Duclos Darie <Darie.Duclos@unifr.ch>,
          spare vanagon list <vanagon@onelist.com>

Darie, The problem with my vanagon starter turned out to be bad contacts in the solenoid. The ground wire fix didn't solve this problem but it did make my starter turn faster when it was working. My symptoms were as follows: When trying to start in the morning I'd get one chance with the starter, sometimes two, but no more. If it didn't start on the first or second try, the starter wouldn't work after that, just a little click, that's it. Leave it for twelve or more hours, and I'd be granted another try or two. Usually on the second try, I'd have to hold the key for a second or so before anything happened, then after that nothing again.

I took my motor out, cleaned the terminals, cleaned the wires, charged the battery, etc... Reinstalled the motor with the ground wire fix, turned the key .. rerrererre... Second try,...hesitation for a second....rerrerrreeere. Third try,...nothing but a click.

Out comes the motor again. Into the garage and onto the bench. This time I fixed it.

Two predictions: 1. Your problem will be back. 2. The following will fix it.

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that this is your problem, and it's easy to fix yourself.

First, undo the nut holding the big braided wire onto the solenoid, undo the two screws that hold the solenoid to the starter and slip the solenoid off the starter. Next undo the two screws that hold the end cap onto the solenoid (these may be sealed in with silicone). Now comes the interesting part, take a soldering iron and heat up the solder on the two contacts on the cap, there is one on each side by the screws, one has two thin wires sticking up through it, the other has one. A little heat to each side while you pull straight up, and the cap will come off when the solder melts. When you look inside your problem will become apparent. You will see a copper bar on the solenoid and two copper contacts on the inside of the cap. One or both of these will be corroded, as will the corresponding section of the bar. Clean them up with some emery paper or similar, put it all back together, and reattach the solenoid to your starter. Test it with a battery or a battery charger to make sure that its together right and that the drive gear pops out, and reinstall into your camper.

That should do it, worked for me, my starter now turns faster than a politician. I think it's a VW thing, as I had to do this fix with my '63 Bug. and my Golf had the "clicking flu" for a while as well.

Anyway, best of luck, let me know how you make out.

Cheers, Bob Norman '81 Westy Gander, Newfoundland Canada