Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 1999 11:30:47 -0700
From:         "Michael A. Radtke" <m.radtke@ELM.AZ05.BULL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My First Oil Filter Failure

Hello,

I am surprised that no one has definitively said where the oil pressure is sensed. I looked in my Vanagon books, and couldn't figure it out, so then I looked in various non-VW books to see if I could find something to generalize from. Only one of my books showed the oil paths through the engine (Mazda) but it didn't show the oil pressure sensor location.

Phooey!

Some of you figured out where I was going with this sensing thing. There could be very different interpretations about which filter was better based on flow depending where the pressure is sensed.

Without knowing the sensor's location, I analyzed the symptoms that Mark reported a little further.

Assumptions:

a) The oil thins during the high speed driving, and thus the pressure drops.

b) Since we are dealing with low flow (idle after high speed), and low pressure, the bypass valve in the filter is not an issue.

c) The anti-drainback valve need not be considered either. Only the flow through the filter element is an issue.

Some Conclusions:

1) Pressure sensed before the filter.

This would seem to indicate that the Fram filter is more free flowing than the Mahle. That actually says nothing about either of the filters effectiveness. However, the Mahle filter may be masking a bad oil pump, worn engine bearings, or a bad oil pressure sensor.

2) Pressure sensed after the filter.

This would seem to indicate that the Mahle filter is more free flowing than the Fram. Once again, this says nothing about either of the filters effectiveness. However, the Mahle filter may be masking a bad oil pump, worn engine bearings, or a bad oil pressure sensor.

More conclusions:

The whole oil pressure sensor design might be tolerant of the Mahle filter' back pressure and intolerant of the Fram's. In that case no conclusion can be made about which is a better filter, but it's easy to conclude which is more annoying to use.

On the other hand, the issue may be worn engine parts.

Mike