Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 May 1999 23:58:27 -0600
From:         Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@IEEE.ORG>
Subject:      rusty front suspension parts? what to do.

Here's the scoop. SyncroBeast's front end came apart abut 1 1/2 years ago. She's got 150k miles on her, and was running the original shocks, the original rotors, ........ at least I haven't seen anything in the records at West Side VW to indicate otherwise. (Yeah, I was able to get all records from the dealer. The PO was a ski shop and apparently always went to West Side VW.)

So then, last spring, it was damp in the garage. Real damp. Since the engine compartment lid and the van was closed up, I've got plenty of corrosion all over the engine under the "hood". Looks like mostly stuff I can brush off, so hopefully no big deal there. I eventually set up a fan in the garage, and opened up the engine lid, and the van windows.

Up front, I had the complete front end apart. Now I've got rusty parts everywhere. Rusty calipers, rusty CV's (on the outside), rusty uprights.... etc. Surface rust, to be sure, but rust.

What, if anything, would the list suggest I do with all the rust.

* leave it?

* oil/grease everything up?

* paint with rusty damp primer?

* anything else???

She's going together soon, and I'd like to not stick it together without some thought as to what I ought to do with the rust.

Ch '89 SyncroBeast Vanagon - Soon to come - New Shocks for the Syncro! '87 16V GTI '80 850 Yamaha Special '87 16V GTI w/ hale damage - parting out - body gone, parts remain '89 16V GTI w/ toasted motor '86 Scirocco (8 valve w/ auto) - SO's - now w/ it's own hale damage

Prior Lake, MinneSnowta - umm, ok, summers coming