Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 1999 12:37:18 -0700
From:         Otmar Ebenhoech <Otmar@EVCL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FW: Diesel Vanagon Conversion
Comments: To: Jeff Mannino <jmannino@ETRADE.COM>

>Hi everyone,

>1982 diesel Westy that had a 1986 1.8 Jetta engine installed in it. Not >being familiar with these conversions (my previous buses were all early '70s >type II's), I had a few questions about the car. Tom answered them very >well, but he also suggested that I send mail to this list to see if anyone >in the area (San Jose, CA) could help. Below is my original e-mail to Tom, >his response, and my response back to him. > >Thanks in advance, >jeff

Hi Jeff, That bus, I looked at already last week. I was looking for a friend and decided against it because she wants a clean reliable car. Here is what I remember of it, I declined to drive it because I had seen enough.

1) rust under windshield right side, surface body rust (esp. under radiator grill), this was a coastal car. 2) poor bodywork right behind sliding door 3) poor battery installation under rear seat, (plumbers tape! and it's loose) 4) poor care for wiring on conversion (notice the rag filling the hole under the rear seat) 5) stock diesel transmission, poor gearing for the conversion. 6) accelerator cable problem as you noted (cable housing, what's that?) 7) coolant overflow tank relocated, no cap, it's empty, poor access. 8) poor exhaust work, restricted pipe size. 9) much mildew on inside roof. 10) dirty engine, not very well cared for. 11) no BAR sticker, techincally a illegal conversion. 12) potential engine troubles.

Overall, I was willing to buy if it was a clean conversion or a perfect body, but it was niether and I did not think it was worth it. HTH -Otmar- 86 Syncro (front) 82 (rear) Stretch GTI Westfalia. "Power of two" http://www.evcl.com/strvan/strvan.html Several EVs (Electric Vehicles) Electric Vehicle Components Ltd. (650) 494-9255