Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 1999 16:49:06 -0400
From:         Dominique Cormann <kozmik@WAVE.HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: My First Oil Filter Failure
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>

On Tue, 18 May 1999 22:28:14 -0400 The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM> wrote:

> > Filter I've never seen mentioned in this group is the Bosch. > > Where does Bosch fit in on the quality curve? > > > Actually, it is in the archives. Bosch's oil filters are not even made by > Bosch; they are US-made off-the-shelf Frams etc. relabeled as Bosch. Bosch > is not an original supplier of oil filters to Volkswagen, and merely > rebrands someone else's filter in order to fill out their line. Only Mann > and Mahle/Knecht are the "real thing." I sell them for $4.29 each > (watercooled) or $3.99 each (aircooled), minimum purchase 4.

This is NOT true.

If you ask BOSCH they will tell you that they make there own filters. Email them. I have and that is what I have been told.

I have looked at the frams, all the versions they make, and none of them have anything similar in design! They aren't even close.

http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/minimopar/oilfilterstudy-german.html#vw

You can see from the specs here that they aren't the same as well.

>Rather than use a diaphram-type anti-drainback valve, these filters use >spring loaded steel valve with a nitrile seal. This is probably the >best anti-drainback valve design I have seen, but it does take up quite >a bit of room inside the cartridge, which forces the element pleats to >be shallow

This is his comment on the page. Both the bypass and antidrain back solutions are completely different.

And lets not forget the trademark feature of frams. They use cardboard where everyone else uses steel.

SO plz can you tell me why would say such a thing? Bosch makes one of best filters availible. On par with Mahle and mann. For some parts of the world, bosch is the OEM supplier for VW. Please do some research before saying incorrect information!

-- ============================================================--------- Dominique Cormann AKA BuNNY[KoZ] Email:kozmik@wave.home.com dcormann@uoguelph.ca Homepage: http://members.home.com/kozmik