Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 1999 19:36:49 EDT
From:         S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Fridge fan and water behind the fridge

I've removed my not-terribly-cold fridge from the Westy, and (just like everybody else) my fan is broken. I figure I've got two choices: replace the motor (which is the broken part), or replace the whole fan.

I checked with the local RV place on ordering a new fan motor from Dometic. It's $35 - pretty high for a part that's about $2.99 in an electronics catalog. So, I won't be ordering from Dometic. I can get little 12V motors locally or mail order, but I'm not quite sure exactly what I need. In particular, does anyone know how many RPM's the motor ought to run at? Replacing just the motor has the advatage that I don't have to modify the mounting bracket, plus, I assume Dometic's original fan was at least adequate, so that gives me some assurance that my result would be at least adequate.

The other option is to replace the whole fan. The current option is a little 3" muffin fan from Radio Shack, or something similar. It blows 27 cubic feet/minute. Does anyone know how that compares with the original fan? Also, I of course want the fan to be quiet. Does anyone have a sense for how the noise of these fans compare with the original Dometic fan, or how noisy the Dometic is? I know that's pretty subjective, but is the Dometic (when working) more like a whisper, or more like a box of bolts tumbling down the stairs?

Second issue: also like everybody else, I found that the insulation behind the fridge was wet, and there was water and rust in the trough there between the wall and floor. My plan at this point is to have Ziebart remove the loose rust, magically turn the rest into metal (with rust convertor), and coat the trough with their waxy rust preventer. They'll do it for about $30. (I wouldn't generally treat a car with Ziebart - I hear it often does as much harm as good - but this limited application seemed to make sense.) My question is, does anyone have any suggestions for preventing water from collecting there or soaking the insulation in the first place? I suspect the water is a combination of condensation from the fridge, and water dripped down through the vent slots, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks.

-Steven Sittser