Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 1999 19:59:03 EDT
From:         S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Sink faucet mods
Comments: To: bpchristensen@mindspring.com

> Date: 5/20/99 12:48:16 PM CDT > From: bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM (Brent Christensen) > > OK - after a couple of camping trips now, I have decided that I HATE the > sink/faucet in my '89 Syncro Westy. I'm wondering if anyone has come up > with some good modifications. Here are the things that are bugging me: > > 1. The stream of water is too forceful (and directed). It splashes > everywhere when using the sink. > > 2. The faucet valve (round, notched) is impossible to use if you have > soapy/wet hands, since it cannot be gripped.

I found exactly the same problems. I also found that I used a lot more water than I really needed to, and dripped a lot all over the sink, while trying to get the knob turned on and off. It's also hard to find the "off" position, since it's an unmarked spot somewhere between "city water on" and "pump on".

> Has anyone attached some sort of diffuser to make the stream of water easier > to manager?

I tried just putting a little screen where the water comes out, to reduce splashing, but it didn't help.

To solve the knob problem, I wired a momentary contact pushbutton in parallel with the knob switch, and mounted it in a little box next to the faucet, with the button facing toward the user. That way, you could press the button with a finger while hoding your hand under the faucet, to get just the little bit of water you needed to wash up with. I tried to make the button as waterproof as possible.

It worked pretty well, but unfortunately, I did a poor job constructing it, and it broke down after only a few weeks. I could make another, better one, but the faucet has recently developed a "problem" which actually makes it in some ways easier to use: the knob got left in "almost but not quite on" position for a while, and the contacts arced a lot and were eaten away. Now, the pump runs only as long as you turn and hold the knob all the way against the stop, and shuts itself off a second or two after you let go. That's actually turned out to be more convenient in a lot of cases.

I'm thinking of replacing the faucet with a Shurflo faucet from West Marine - the same one that's used in the Eurovan camper. It has an aerator to reduce splashing, and a much better control lever - you can actually adjust the flow rate when the pump is on. (The lever turns on the pump, but then the water still goes through an adjustable valve controlled by the same lever). It also rotates into more positions than the Westy faucet. The disadvangtage is that there's no built-in provision for both a city water and pump connection to the faucet - I'd have to add a tee valve (probably under the sink) and a cut off switch for the pump in order to use city water. On the other hand, we've never used the city water connection, and I doubt we ever will, so I could just ignore it.

-Steven Sittser