Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 May 1999 08:13:40 -0700
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Removing Stickers, Decals
Comments: To: Kevin Sullivan <ksull@MBARI.ORG>

3M makes an attachment to their Roloc(drill chuck adapter) which consists of several white thin circular plstic floppy type discs. When spun at drill speed, they stiffen up and youuse this tool like a wire brush attachment to remove the decal... I believe the name of it is something like 3M stripe and decal remover. It is advertised as not hurting painted surfaces.. I personally have not used this product/tool for removing decals, but I have a friend in the body shop business that swears by this tool. It comes in 4 and 6" diameters and the roloc and the discs are under $15 retail. I can however vouch for the tools ability to remove contact cement from the botttom of vinyl inside layers of ABS Royalex canoes and polyethylene kayaks without damage(unless you really bear down on the tool and concentrate the buffing action on one area for too long.

The name of this product(Idecided to look it up in rthe catalogue) is Scothbrite Molding adhesive and Stripe Removal disc. 4" disc is part number07501 and 6" is07502. 4" requires 4000 rpm dril(air powered?)and the 6" is 2800. I use the 6" due to the large areas of contact cement ai must remove from the canoes. Hope this helps.

Dimwitted moose and Flying Squirrel 90 GL Millennium Falcon III 132k -----Original Message----- From: Kevin Sullivan <ksull@MBARI.ORG> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Saturday, May 15, 1999 11:30 AM Subject: Removing Stickers, Decals Excuse this message for not being directly Vanagon related. It's just that that you're all so good with auto problems in general! ;>) Anyway, how do I remove those lame decals stripes (auto manufactures seem to be using more and more) without doing damage to the paint? Is it just a time consuming chore or is there something I can use to peel it off in seconds? Thanks in advance, Kevin '87 gl syncro westy

[text/html]