Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 1999 07:58:22 -8
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <wesn@mail.eskimo.com>
From:         Wes Neuenschwander <wesn@ESKIMO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gerry is ill - suggestions for a server upgrade
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>

David,

I think the upgrade is long overdue and I applaud you for taking the time to come up with this fix for the ailing Gerry. Count me in! I for one have really lamented the lack of a functioning archive search feature. There's an absolute treasure trove of information in the archives and not being able to get to this stuff when you need it is extremely frustrating.

And, judging from the volume of repeat questions - whether about tires, engine rebuilds or how to make our Dometic fridges work - I think getting a working search engine again would even help in streamlining the list traffic.

Ditto for the reliability issue. I always get a kick out of how many 'test' messages appear whenever Gerry goes down (and how fast they start to pile come in). I think that says a lot about our dependence on this list - with or without searchable archives.

I can also imagine how much of a pain it must be for you to deal with the hassles of the ailing Gerry - in addition to the hassles intrinsic to running the list itself!

And in terms of value, I can't begin to estimate how much this list has been worth to me. How-to suggestions, parts vendor recommendations and direct, to the point feedback to some really challenging questions has (and continues to) save me substantial $$$.

Let's go for it! I'd be glad to contribute to the cause. Send me an address and my check will be in the mail the next day.

-Wes

Wes Neuenschwander Seattle, WA wesn@eskimo.com