Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 1999 11:18:56 -0400
From:         ncdragonfly <ncdragonfly@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      sliding door screen (long)

Well I finally put down my fly rod and got around to installing the sliding door screen. Thanks to Ron and all for their suggestions and help. I am still somewhat dissatisfied with the fit of the screen as it is not as well positioned as I had imagined for several reasons; 1) my vehicle (82 westfalia air cooled) does not have the heater conduit as described by Ron in his post describing how to install the screen, this my be due to my bus being an air sucker, I don't know as I am unfamiliar with the wasserboxers. 2) the metal on the vehicle above the level of the window and forward of the sliding door is about twice as thick as the rest of the metal and I could not successfully get one of the screw-in-snaps supplied with the screen to screw in to the holes I drilled. In fact one of the screws twisted off leaving a stub of the screw proud of the surface. This is just below the upper seat belt mount and I have some concern about getting scraped or cut from it, and I have not been able to successfully remove it. I am sure I could drill it out but then I have a big ole hole in the thing. My point here is not simply to whine but to let others know that the installation has some potential problems that they may be able to avoid by learning from my mistakes. Would I do it again? Yes, considering the fact

that I live in North Carolina and during fishing season it can get hot and buggy and I am certainly willing to give up a little frustration in installation and couple of aesthetic points for some misquito free ventilation. End of editorial, beginning description of my installation: I started by placing the screen against the opening and inspecting where the snaps lay all around and then used duct tape to hold the thing in place. I noticed that along the rear of the sliding door opening the snaps at the top aligned closely with the screws that hold the header to the metal between the sliding door and the cut out for the poptop. I decided to remove these older screws and place the screw-in-snaps there, I had to slightly enlarge the holes to accept the larger screw-in-snaps. This established an alignment for the rest of the snaps. I was able to use two

more existing screws across the top of the screen that were also holding the aforementioned header on. I then turned my attention to the rear side

of the screen as it was obvious where this should fit and this part fits well. The cutout in the side of the screen corresponds directly to the position of the armrest of the sofa bed therefore I marked the placement of the snaps on the bus and the bottom of the sofa bed with a pencil and drilled the holes. I screwed the screw-in-snaps into place without a problem and snapped the rear side of the screen in place. I was particularly happy with the way this part came together. I then turned my

attention to the troublesome front side and front-top corner. I had to remove a fire extinguisher that was mounted against the side of the bus in the corner where the passenger seat pedestal/battery box meet. I remounted the fire extinguisher against the passenger seat pedestal/battery box thus allowing room for the screen to be stretched somewhat more tautly in place. I observed the vertical alignment of the front side of the screen and altered its placement to create a compromise between a particularly taut fit and a neat appearance while working around the lower passenger seatbelt mount/take-up-reel. The screen slides behind the take-up-reel as far as possible but still remains acceptably taut across the sliding door opening. I then marked with a pencil the placement of the snaps up to the point where the 'conduit extension' part of the screen begins. I drilled these holes and mounted the screw-in-snaps without incident and snapped the screen in to place. At this point I had the top of the screen forward to the 'conduit extension', the rear side, and the lower portion of the front side mounted and snapped into place. I turned my attention to the problem

area. The next snap up on the front side marked the beginning of the 'conduit extension' portion of the screen and fell just below the upper seatbelt mount and behind the seatbelt as it hangs on the bus wall. I marked the spot with my pencil and drilled the hole. I attempted to screw

the screw-in-snap in to place but could not. This is where the metal is thicker and also the spot where I twisted off the screw in the hole. Several frustrating moments passed here as the perspiration soaked my t-shirt and dripped on to the carpet during the warmest part of the warmest day in several days. I cursed my crossed stars and repeatedly tried to come up with some acceptable alignment of the remaining snaps that would keep the screen reasonably taut, maintain a neat and professional appearance, and not be unnecessarily in the way of anything else in the area. I decided on a compromise position and drilled another hole and unsuccessfully tried to screw in another screw-in-snap into the thicker metal, I repositioned and drilled another hole in an area I hoped the metal would not be so thick, it was equally thick. I finally gave up and have bunched that part

of the screen together and stuffed it behind itself. I may try a velcro solution for this area or I may just live with it. The installation will be tested this weekend on a camping trip and I will report any significant changes. I know we will appreciate the the sound of the zipper vs the sliding door in the middle of the night as one of us gets up to use the bathroom and I expect the breeze to improve sleep as well. Good luck in your installation and I apologize for the length of this post. David Higginbotham 82 Westfalia Raleigh, NC