Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 1999 12:45:35 -0600
From:         Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@IEEE.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Gerry is ill

As I understand NT, and memory leaks, we can't get around them, they are inherrent to the system.

Doesn't that mean one of two things:

1. Don't use NT, use something else, like SCO-UNIX. SCO is free, so is LINUX.

2. Weekly or sooner reboot. Isn't this something that can be scripted? If memory leaks are known problem, why are we supprised when Gerry goes down, and why aren't we proactive about it and REBOOT every 4 to 7 days to clean up the leak problem.

From my limited understanding of NT, Memory Leaks are a known side effect of the system. Some might call them bugs, others features, depending on if you are strugling with living with NT or selling NT boxes and Microsoft software.

3. Or a third option. By a MAC server.

Ch

Carl Hansen 1.612.440.2899 carl_hansen@ieee.org