Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 1999 20:11:08 -0400
From:         David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Intake Manifold? Woes
Comments: To: Gregor Brandt <gbrandt@RUBICON.NET>

Those studs hold a cooling pipe that crosses the top of the engine. When a nameless mechanic removed my cooling pipe without bothering to remove all the nuts first :-/ (then stuck it back on without fixing it leaving me to find the vacuum leak!!) I took a piece of thin aluminum (piece of a peanut can or some such?) and cut a rectangle an inch wide and covering the top half of the pipe. I stuck it on with (sensor-safe) RTV (I used the gold stuff) and and then used a band clamp to hold the foot of the cooling pipe onto the patch. Cost one can of peanuts or Dinty Moore stew or whatever it was and a clamp. The silicone was already open so I consider it free. It's been fine for five years now.

Now if you have two studs on the right side (passenger side on a LHD vehicle) it suggests to me that you have a left-side manifold installed there. The left side has two studs and the cooling pipe has a wide foot with two holes on that side. The right side has a single stud on the forward (#1 cylinder) tube, and the cooling pipe has a narrow foot with one hole. That was the one that tore out on mine. If your hole is in the after tube I'd patch it as above and put the clamp around the patch. If you have a RHD vehicle and the problem is on the left side, you may have to be a little more creative with the clamping arrangements.

david

At 16:47 5/21/99 -0500, Gregor Brandt wrote: >One of the studs has broken off, leaving a hole, on my '84 Westy, and the >local dealer want $500 for a new one. Does anybody know where I can get a >good used one or a much cheaper new one? > >thanks > >Gregor

David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net