Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 1999 20:24:02 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Gerry's (illness)
Comments: To: EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>

Just to set the record straight, I am getting this server at cost plus 5% which is my staff discount.

I am NOT interested in getting parts from all over the world to make a server. There are a few reasons for this:

- if something fails, I have a replacement SAME DAY in stock at ABC Communications. - if something fails, I don't have to spend my time on the phone explaining to someone that I want to return something - no shipping to deal with - no duty to deal with - no customs folk to deal with - I am very familular with the parts that make up this system and I know they work - I don't have time to mess around with something that is made overly complicated to save a few bucks.

If the list feels it is a good idea for me to buy the server else where, then I will send the server elsewhere to get everthing transfered over and up and running correctly. I think it is in the best interest of the list that I purchase the server locally.

I really don't mean this as a threat but I need things to be a hassle free as possible.

While we are at it, I think we should get me boss something for letting us use the T1 for free for the last 6 months.

At 14:05 21/05/1999 -0400, EMZ wrote: > Sorry Dave, but here is the states I could put that same machine >together, with the best components on the market, for about $1000. > Below is a good example. If you would like I would be glad to, >just give me the word. No software though. I could ship it to you >and you could finish the job. > >Why are you interested in SCSI hard drive >interface? I personally use IDE all the time anymore. > > Eric 86-VW4x4 > vw4x4@fyi.net 72-240z > Pittsburgh, PA USA 1936-Chrysler > > >---------- Forwarded message ---------- >Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 13:40:30 -0400 >From: Eric Zeno <emz@acutronic.com> >To: vw4x4@fyi.net >Subject: BuyComp.Com has a Western Digital 8.4GB for $118.95 + $10.24 S&H. > >BuyComp.Com has a Western Digital 8.4GB for $118.95 + $10.24 S&H. >Sorry, I just had to tell you. :-)> > > > >Eric Zeno >Acutronic- Electronic Designer >(412) 963-9400 >80,40.4386 > >

-- David Marshall - Vanagon List Admin - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --