Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 May 1999 23:15:35 -0500
From:         "Roy O." <keepsake@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Beware!
Comments: To: paul banks <paulbanks@NLLFAN.COM>

Generally speaking, unless your shipment is coming via parcel post, Canadians ordering anything from the U.S. should insist that the vendor indicate on the package that the customer will clear the shipment through customs. This will eliminate paying the obscene customs brokerage fees charged by companies like UPS and FedEx. It's not difficult to clear shipments through customs. You don't need a broker to do it. Keep your money in your own pocket...it feels better.

I learned my lesson the hard way, too.

Roy O. '87 Westfalia ('till death do us part)

-----Original Message----- From: paul banks <paulbanks@NLLFAN.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Saturday, May 15, 1999 9:29 AM Subject: Beware!

|For all those that wish to buy products and ship them to Canada in general, and those that buy specifically from Euro-American Products (Delta Six) should be aware of potential problems. | |I recently purchased some camper parts from Euro-American that needed to be shipped to Toronto. The vendor insisted on shipping it UPS although I had some fears that UPS charges some extra fees for Canadian shipments. I was assured that I would not have any extra payments upon delivery. | |To my dismay I was presented a bill from UPS that included a $31 fee (on a $100 order) for 'brokering' my package across the border. The fee was explained as $15 for paying my duty and sales tax up-front, $10 for having the driver collect the money and a $6 finance charge (all this for $12 in duty and sales tax!). How ridiculous is this? Compare this to using the US postal service and being charged nothing!!! | |I should note that I left a message on Euro-American voicemail telling him about this situation. I thought he should know as I requested he use the postal service in the first place. To be honest I was also hoping he would offer to give me a deal on a future order since his actions led to this problem. However, he has not deemed it necessary to return my phonecall. | |I guess the lesson to be learned from this for Canadian listmembers is to insist that US orders be shipped by the postal service. Don't let the vendor tal k you into using a courier service just because it is more convenient for their business. | | | |Paul Banks |'89 Vanagon Westfalia | |Signup for your FREE NLL FAN account at http://www.nllfan.com |