Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 May 1999 11:08:00 -0400
From:         George Jannini <georgejoann@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: My First Oil Filter Failure
Comments: To: got_art@TELIS.ORG

On Tue, 18 May 1999 10:27:43 -0700 Paul Albert <got_art@TELIS.ORG> writes:

<< May 18, 1999...Anybody in they're right mind would never use a Fram in VW. Just weighthe difference between a VW(or Mann, Mahle) and a Fram for a unscientific test for starters. Garbage is garbage- that's why they can sell it so cheaply-In my college days I owned a beautiful Ford t-bird- I was also cheap-skimped on the oil filter and blew the engine- never again...>>

Been using Frams on our Westy for 80,000 miles now...no powerplant problems whatsoever and don't expect any either...worrying about the lubrication system is pretty low on my paranoia list.

130,000 is the mileage on the clock right now. I was using Castrol 20W 50 and changing it at 4,000 to 5,000 miles, but recently began experiencing the dreaded "buzzer syndrome" after hard runs when the oil had only been in there for 3,000 miles or thereabouts, so I switched to Mobil 1, 15W 50, now changing at 8,000 miles. Don't hear no buzzers no more...so far. :-) The only wrenching done on the engine has been for water pumps, spark plugs and, of course, the filter and drain plug.

The van is used primarily for long haul traveling with the cruise control set at 70. Whenever it's used for errands around town, it is always thoroughly warmed up.

George '89 Westy, Wernher

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]