Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 May 1999 09:09:58 PDT
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Westy Fridge Fans - Follow Up

Volks -

Awhile back I posted a note about replacing my stock refrigerator fan with two muffin fans, and installing a thermostatically controlled interior circulating fan.

I found that burying the thermostat for the interior fan in the insulation around the heater didn't work out as well as I had hoped. It was fine on 110v and 12v, but the gas heat source was a bit too warm. When I was camped, I blew a fuse, so I turned off the switch for the interior fan (fortunately it was before the thermostat in the circuit), replaced the fuse and left the interior fan off for the rest of the trip.

When I disassembled things, the wires looked a bit hot next to the thermostat, and the insulation over the contacts on the thermostat had melted just enough to let the metal contact the heat shield and short the circuit.

I decided to move it out from inside the heat shield. Expecting that 12v would be the weakest heat source, I figured out how to hook up my 10 amp battery charger to the fridge.

Cutting a hole in the heat shield halfway down the side to mount the thermostat didn't work, because even with the insultion removed, it didn't get hot enough to trip the switch. It might on 110, and probably would on gas, but I want it to work on all three.

The metal pipe coming up the center of the insulation is the heat source, so I wired the thermostat with the sensor surface touching the pipe, just above the heat shield. That didn't get hot enough either, until I wrapped fiberglass insulation around it.

According to my trusty meat thermometer, the pipe in that area gets up to just 130, which is the trip point for my thermostat. So - it's marginal, but in a warm day in the Westy, I think it will get warmer than it would in my 60 degree garage.

Also, if the temp ever gets up above 130, the switch will not turn off until it drops below 115, so on most of my camping trips, where I cool down the fridge on 110v the night before I leave and leave it on until I get back, the switch will stay closed.

We'll see how it goes!

By the way - I'm happy with the two muffin fans. They move a fair bit more air, and are quieter than the stock fan.

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy