Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 May 1999 06:31:42 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gerry is ill - suggestions for a server upgrade
Comments: To: Robert Rountree <rountree@PLANETEER.COM>

Hello, Robert. I guess maybe you should see this from my side of the border. In the past several months I have purchased items from 6 Canadian sources, or tried to. They were all friendly and easy to deal with other than the part about the currency. 5 insisted on Canadian funds, no exceptions. The one business that was willing to accept US money orders RETURNED my US Postal money order because their bank refused it. It was one that said for domestic use only. I sent them a new one labeled for international use and my order was filled. I am happy with all of the transactions but I saw none of the currency flexibility you claim for your countrymen. 3 of these deals were with people who advertise ON THIS LIST, including the returned money order.

Mark

Robert Rountree wrote: > > Hate to bust any Federal regs here..... or enlighten anyone on international > policies..... but my Dear Mother in Georgia, sends those to me here in > Canada (with Domestic only across the top) U.S. postal money orders (even > thought she is told not to (hey she's an OLD bugger) and my bank deposits > them (once they put, a hold on one).... she sends them like clock work, > X-mas, birthdays, anniversary's.... No believe me, if there is one thing a > Canadian can do well, (other than fry back bacon, drink beer and swat black > flies) it's find a way to exchange ANY kind of currency, Let me ask you guys > this..... can you exchange Cuban $$$ at your local bank? (without getting > arrested?) > > > This is correct. The US Postal money orders are marked on them that they > are > > only good in the U.S. They sell ones that are good in other countries but > they > > cost $3 instead of less than $1. > > > > Mark > > > > "John P. Flaherty" wrote: > > > > > >Your best choice is a money order... of any kind (or amount) of money > > > <Snip> > > > > > > I believe regular US Postal Service Money Orders are only good > domestically. > > > Not sure if they if they offer an international version. > > > > > > John Flaherty > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: Robert Rountree <rountree@PLANETEER.COM> > > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > > Date: Friday, May 21, 1999 10:18 AM > > > Subject: Re: Gerry is ill - suggestions for a server upgrade > > > > > > >----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Townsend > > > >> What about us 'merrrrkans? If we send David a $5 USD, or a check > from a > > > >> U.S. bank, how does he get it converted to CDN.... > > > > > > > >Your best choice is a money order... of any kind (or amount) of > money.... > > > if > > > >you write a check your bank might charge you a $15 service charge > > > >(honest).... they didn't get the biggest buildings in towns by helping > (or > > > >is that scalping) people(:^) > > > > > >